What is this standard about?
Information technology Service management system requirements
It enables users to establish and run a service management system (SMS), the aim of which is to systematically and consistently improve the delivery of services.
Whether used by internal service departments or external service providers, it helps users deliver a quality service that will be valued by stakeholders.
Who is this standard for?
Traditionally the standard was used to manage IT services, but increasingly it’s applied to other service management activities, such as facilities management and business process outsourcing.
Specifically the standard can be used by:
Why should you use this standard?
- Customers seeking services and requiring assurance regarding the quality of those services
- Customers requiring a consistent approach to the service lifecycle by all its service providers, including those in a supply chain
- Organizations wanting to demonstrate their capacity to plan, design, transition, deliver and improve services
- Organizations wanting to monitor, measure and review their SMS and services
- Organizations wanting to improve the planning, design, transition, delivery and improvement of services through effective implementation and operation of an SMS
- Organizations or other parties performing conformity assessments against the requirements specified in this document
- Providers of training or advice in service management
It specifies requirements for an organization to establish, implement, maintain and continually improve a service management system (SMS).
Its requirements cover the planning, design, transition, delivery and improvement of services to meet the requirements of the service and deliver value.
What’s changed since the last update?
This is a technical revision of the 2011 standard, updated to help organizations deal more effectively with increasing service demands and a changing service delivery environment.
The principal changes are:
- It aligns with the high level structure (HLS) that now applies to all new management system standards
- It has broader application beyond IT services, and can also be applied in areas such as facilities management and business process outsourcing
- It tackles key service management trends
- It has an increased focus on planning to drive improved performance
It has an increased focus on leadership and strategy to ensure that performance is optimized for users and their customers
Benefits of ISO 20000-1:2011
By achieving certification to ISO 20000-1 IT Services Certification, your organization will be able to reap numerous benefits such as:
- Reduction in incidents and improved incident management.
- Improving corporate image and credibility .
- Adoption of an integrated process to the delivery of IT services .
- Reduction in response times and interruptions to IT service.
- Improved management of costs, leading to financial savings .
- A culture of continuous improvement.
- Greater understanding of roles and business objectives.
- Ensuring legislative awareness and compliance.
- Protecting the company, assets, shareholders and directors.
- Increased customer satisfaction from internal and/or external customers .
- Provides you with a competitive advantage.
- Enhanced customer satisfaction that improves client retention.
- Consistency in the delivery of your service or product.