ISO 22000:2005 / 22000:2018
(Food Safety Management Systems)
ISO 22000:2005 / 22000:2018 stands for food safety management system. It is a
prevention-based food safety system that identifies and prevents microbial,
chemical and other hazards in the food based industry.
It is applicable to all organizations, regardless of size, which are involved in
any aspect of the food chain and want to implement systems that
consistently provide safe products. The means of meeting any requirements
of this International Standard can be accomplished through the use of internal and/or external resources.
This International Standard ISO 22000 certification specifies requirements to
enable an organization to plan, implement, operate, maintain and update a
food safety management system aimed at providing products that,
according to their intended use, are safe for the consumer.
Benefits of ISO 22000:2005 / 22000:2018
- An auditable standard with clear requirements which provides a framework
for third-party certification.
- The structure aligns with the management system clauses of ISO 9001 and
- Enables communication about hazards with partners in the supply chain
- System approach, rather than product approach.
- Applicable to all organizations in the global food supply chain.
- Systematic management of prerequisite programs.
- Increased due diligence.
- Dynamic communication on food safety issues with suppliers, customers,
regulators and other interested parties signifies that it is a truly global
- Provides potential for harmonization of national standards.
- Covers the majority of the requirements of the current retailer food safety
- Complies with the Codex HACCP principles.
- Provides communication of HACCP concepts internationally.